Wiesbaden, Day 3: The Never Ending Day

By the time I got back to the hotel today, it was about 7 pm. I went to the same Irish pub, had a beer, and headed by to my room. By now it was 8 and most of the shops had closed with the exception of restaurants, bars and cafes.

So while I was tired and still had to wake up early for a conference call and with no sign of daylight fading and the late rarity of the full sun (it’s been raining a lot lately) I couldn’t resist exploring a bit. I retraced by steps through the shopping district and made it all the way to the end, past the bus stops, back to the train station where my visit to Wiesbaden first began three days ago.

I couldn't help but take a picture of the ducks. I have a soft spot for animals with small brains.

Today was a different day and a totally different experience; instead of tripping over my three bags, ripping my jeans at the knee and worrying about how to get to the hotel I was enjoying the sun and snapping pictures of any and everything that caught my fancy. The parks were still loosely populated with a younger crowd admiring the painted sky or making their way to pubs for dinner.

No joke. This horse was anatomically correct.

After an hour or so of camera work and setting up/tearing down my tripod, I decided to make my way back to the hotel. I spent a minute trying to figure out where to buy a bus ticket, and then thought better of it and walked off towards the general vicinity of my hotel. I walked a different route back that took me by the Markt Kirke (Market Church) and other places with names I couldn’t pronounce but whose architecture was impressive nonetheless.

Nine o'clock in the afternoon. Amazing.

I eventually found my way to the McDonald’s to pick up dinner and somehow survived the final ten minute walk back to my hotel room. With the sun still high in the sky, I vaguely remember looking back at my cellphone after my head hit the bed (because I missed the pillow). Two hours after I got to my hotel room the first time, with the sun still streaming outside I fell asleep around 10 pm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s